Marcia Rosal, Ph.D., ATR-BC
Marcia L. Rosal, Ph.D., ATR-BC., Director of the Art Therapy Program, received a master's degree in art therapy from the University of Louisville and a doctorate in educational psychology from the University of Queensland. Prior to joining the faculty at FSU in 1999, Marcia taught for 14 years at the University of Louisville in the Expressive Therapies Program where she received the 1998 Distinguished Teacher Award. She has been an adjunct or visiting professor in several other art therapy programs at various colleges and universities in the US and abroad including Australia, Britain, and Taiwan. In addition, she has presented frequently at state, national, and international conferences.
Currently, she is working on a project on the use of art museums and museum objects in art therapy in conjunction with the FSU Museum of Fine Arts. This collaboration will culminate in the development of a handbook on the use of art museums in art therapy for mental health professionals and counselors.
Dr. Rosal is active professionally. She served as the Executive Secretary of the Kentucky Art Therapy Association for several years prior to her move to Florida. On the national level, she served and chaired on what is now called the Educational Program Approval Board and was active on several other committees including programs committees for the national conferences prior to her election to the Board of Directors. Her 8-year tenure on the board culminated with a two-year term as President (1999 - 2001). She is active as an editorial board member on the international journal, The Arts in Psychotherapy.
Research Interests: Art therapy outcome studies, comparative art therapy, media studies, group art therapy, cognitive-behavioral art therapy research and using art museums in art therapy.
- Rosal, M. L. (2001). Cognitive-behavioral approaches to art therapy. In J. A. Rubin (Ed.), Approaches to Art Therapy (2nd ed.). New York: Brunner/Mazel.
- Rosal, M.L., Deaver, S. H., Julliard, K., Isis, P., & Vick, R. (1999). Envisioning a framework for art therapy research: AATA's research agenda [Abstract]. Proceedings of the 30th Annual Conference of the American Art Therapy Association, 154.
- Byers, J., Gerber, N., Hays, R., Linesch, D., & Rosal, M. L. (1999). Art therapy education "back to the future": A discussion for the millennium [Abstract]. Proceedings of the 30th Annual Conference of the American Art Therapy Association, 140.
- Rosal, M. L., Turner-Schikler, L., & Yurt, D. (1998). Art therapy with obese teens: Racial, cultural and therapeutic implications. In A. R. Hiscox & A. C. Calisch (Eds.), Tapestry of cultural issues in art therapy (pp.109-133). London: Jessica Kingsley.
- Rosal, M. L. (1998). Research thoughts: Learning from the literature and from experience. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 15(1), 47-50.
Faculty Expertise and Advancement System (FEAS) Faculty Curriculum Vitae (CV) database profile here.