Pat Villeneuve, Ph.D.
Pat Villeneuve specializes in art museum education and exhibitions and has developed supported interpretation (SI), a model for visitor-centered exhibitions. Pat has published, presented, and consulted extensively in the United States and internationally, having presented her work in Barbados, China, Taiwan, South Korea, and Denmark during the 2012-3013 academic year. She has also curated exhibitions as part of her SI theory development. Pat Villeneuve co-authored Chicano Art for Our Millennium and edited From Periphery to Center: Art Museum Education in the 21st Century. She is a past editor of the Art Education journal and is an associate editor of The International Journal of the Inclusive Museum. Pat organized Gallery Praxis, an art museum education conference held at the John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, and she was named the National Art Museum Educator in 2009.
Research Interests: Art/Museum Education and Visitor-Centered Exhibitions, Supported Interpretation.
Selected Publications and Scholarly Work:
- Villeneuve, P. (2013). Building museum sustainability through visitor-centered exhibition practices. The International Journal of the Inclusive Museum, 5(4), 37-50.
- Villeneuve, P. (2012). Supported interpretation: Museum learning through interactive exhibitions. In Q. Yang (Ed.), Intelligence crossover (pp. 58-72). Hangzhou, China: World Chinese Art Education Association.
- Villeneuve, P. (Guest Curator). (2012). Waxing Poetic: Exploring Expression in Art and Poetry. Exhibition presented at the Figge Art Museum, Davenport, IA, June – October, 2012.
- Villeneuve, P., & Erickson, M. (2012). Beyond the constructivist museum: Guided interaction through an exhibition interface. The International Journal of the Inclusive Museum, 4(2), 49-64.
- Dock, M. N., Erickson, M., Keller, G. D., Magisos, M., Makin, J., & Villeneuve, P. (Curators). (2011-2012). Mixing It Up: Building Identity. Exhibition presented at the Tempe [AZ] Center for the Arts, September 2011 – January, 2012.
- Villeneuve, P., & Erickson, M. (2011). La lotería: Guided interaction through a visitor-exhibition interface. In K. Beale (Ed.), Museums at play: Games, interaction and learning (pp. 358-371). Edinburgh: Museums, Etc.
- Villeneuve, P. (Ed.). (2007). From periphery to center: Art museum education in the 21st century. Reston, VA: National Art Education Association.
Faculty Expertise and Advancement System (FEAS) Faculty Curriculum Vitae (CV) database profile here.