On Tuesday, March 18, 2014 Dr. Antonio C. Cuyler and students in his Arts Administration in the Public Sector course participated in Arts and Culture Day in Tallahassee, FL. The Florida Cultural Alliance sponsored activities around the Capital including legislative updates, messages from Secretary of State, Ken Detzner, Michael Spring, Chairman of the Florida Cultural Alliance, performances, and more.
Winners of the Florida Higher Education Arts Network Student Arts Advocacy Award meet the following criteria:
• Excellence in the performing or visual arts.
• Possess a genuine interest in the arts and advocacy.
• Possess the ability for the student advocate to present one-self thoughtfully, intelligently, and verbally with adults, dignitaries, and legislators.
• Possess traits of an emerging leader at your school
• Is comfortable talking with adults and respectfully able to communicate positive benefits of the arts in society even when it might oppose legislators
• Maintains personal and artistic integrity and will ultimately carry the arts advocacy torch
• Would be willing to meet with other university students across the state and be mentored by experienced by arts advocacy leaders in advocacy sessions.
More information about the event can be found here.