Graduate Art Therapy Programs
Department of Art Education
Barbara Parker-Bell, Psy.D., ATR‐BC, LPC is the Director of the Art Therapy Program at Florida State University. She currently serves as President of the Art Therapy Credential Board and has served as Director, on the Board of Directors of the American Art Therapy Association. Dr. Parker-Bell is a Fulbright Scholar. During her Fulbright experience she taught and conducted research at Tomsk State University in Siberia, Russian Federation from September 2016- January 2017. Dr. Parker-Bell received her Doctorate in Clinical Psychology from the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM), Philadelphia, PA, in July 2008. She received her MS in Clinical Psychology from PCOM in November 2006, Dr. Parker-Bell received her MA in Expressive Arts Therapy from Lesley College, Cambridge MA in May 1985. Additionally, Dr. Parker-Bell received a BFA, from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI in 1980. Dr. Parker-Bell has many years of experience as an art therapy educator and diverse clinical experiences with children, adolescents and adults.
Practicum III (ARE 5943)
Advanced Art Therapy (ARE 5555)
Introduction to Counseling Technique in Art Therapy (ARE 5382)
Studio Art and Self-care Concepts (ARE 5935)
Her interests include Art Therapy and Art Therapy Training in the Russian Federation, Art Therapy and Older Adults in the Museum Setting, Art Therapy and Cognitive Therapy Approaches with Adults and Children, Dementia Caregiver Experiences/Caregiver Satisfaction & Retention
– Parker-Bell, B. (2021). Russian art therapy and mental health care: Trends, training, and transformation. In V. Huet & L. Kapitan (Eds.). International advances in art therapy research and practice: The emerging picture, (pp. 202-209). Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
– Parker-Bell, B., Vaulina, T., Stipek, A. (2019). Addressing end of life care, loss, and bereavement in the Russian Federation. In M. Wood. B. Jacobson, H. Cridford, (Eds). The International Handbook of Art Therapy in Palliative and Bereavement Care, London, UK: Routledge
– Parker-Bell, B. (2019). Religious practice in Russia, medical settings, and end of life rituals. Routledge. In M. Wood. B. Jacobson, H. Cridford, (Eds.). The international handbook of art therapy in palliative and bereavement care, (pp. 66-67). Routledge.
– Parker-Bell, B., Vaulina, T., Stipek, A. (2019). Addressing end of life care, loss, and bereavement in the Russian Federation. In M. Wood., B. Jacobson, H. Cridford, (Eds). The international handbook of art therapy in palliative and bereavement care, (pp. 68-80). Routledge
– Parker-Bell, B. (2017). Art therapy in the United States: Established but evolving (In Russian). Арт & Терапия (Russian, Translated: Art & Therapy), Vol 1 (9), 7-16.