Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association is currently having a call for papers for their special issue: Providing Client Voice and Choice Through Art Therapy. FSU Art Therapy Program’s own Assistant Professor, Dr. Theresa Van Lith, ATR-BC, AThR is the Guest Editor of this special issue.
Art therapists work to help clients reclaim their voices, autonomy, and sense of self. Art therapists empower clients on an individual level that ultimately impacts the community and societal levels at large. Both the art therapist and client work together to create change.
Providing Client Voice and Choice Through Art Therapy is aimed at addressing how art therapists encourage client participation and collaboration in art therapy to enable their voices and choices to be expressed. They are seeking interesting and diverse research and practice perspectives on art therapy initiatives that address human rights and social movement issues such as: self-determination, autonomy, collaborative decision making, dignity, integrity, belonging, community awareness, and capacity building. Example questions might focus on, but are not limited to
• What is the client perspective on receiving art therapy services?
• How did a particular art therapy initiative empower those involved?
• In what ways can art therapy elicit client narratives regarding how services improved their life circumstances?
• How did art therapy serve to generate consciousness raising of client narratives and experiences?
• How did art therapy cultivate consciousness raising through sharing experiences with others to create meaningful change?
The Art Therapy journal encourages contributors to emphasize the client voice in their submissions through direct quotations, art, or co-authorship. The submission deadline is August 30th, 2019. You may contact Dr. Van Lith at email@example.com or 850-645-9890. You may also find more information and submit your paper at https://think.taylorandfrancis.com/art-therapy-si-providing-client-voice/?utm_source=CPB_think&utm_medium=cms&utm_campaign=JOB08535#?utm_source=CPB&utm_medium=cms&utm_campaign=JOB08534